Friday 19 April 2013

So, last post I shared a bit about what happened to make me the person I am today. Today I'll share a bit more about me and who I am today.

Currently I'm a stay at home Mum to two boys aged 1yr and almost 3yrs. Three months ago our family moved to Australia from New Zealand. It was the turning point in our lives and a decision hubby and I had been working on for about six months.
Since arriving here there's been the usual trials and tribulations of friendships and social circles with everybody adjusting to our arrival. We were lucky enough to have several couples we already knew over here so it wasn't quite a step into the complete unknown.

I have been looking for work part-time but so far there hasn't been a lot that fits into our requirements. My husband works the afternoon shift, starting at 1pm and getting home anywhere between 11pm and 4am the next morning on the really late nights. So needless to say a night job is out of the question for me.

It's not too much of an issue though as we aren't desperate for me to work. It's really just an added bonus if I do pick something up. Plus, with the expected stresses of relocating to a new country I think working might not be the best thing for me right now. Our oldest son is struggling with not having his best friend or his grandparents around anymore. He's been quite homesick of late and I've about run out of ideas on how to help him settle in other then bear with him while he rides it out.

Overall though, we know we made the best decision for us. In NZ we lived in Christchurch and of you're current with world news you'll know we had a spate of rather nasty earthquakes a few years ago. Our oldest boy was a three week old baby when the first 7.8 hit at four-thirty in the morning. As scary as it was I was bloody thankful that it was a Saturday morning, otherwise hubby would have been at work.
While we grew used to the quakes and their respective aftershocks, what did continue to grate away at us was that over two years later we were still waiting to get final confirmation of when our house would be repaired. We were given an indication that it wouldn't happen until 2014. Four years after the first quake. Although we weren't one of the worst damaged houses by far it was still stressful and depressing living in a house with cracks and cosmetic damage everywhere you looked. All our home renovation suddenly hit the backburner since we kind of had to wait and see what the repairers would do first. We couldn't just carry on in case we covered over any signs of damage and the house needed another assessment. We were literally living in limbo.

So, we made the choice to sell up, pay our debts and start again in a place where the average rent/mortgage isn't half your annual income. We were at the stage where each week I'd divide what we had left after fixed bills were paid between groceries and necessities such as clothes, dentist etc. It was getting to be beyond a joke.

I had discovered shortly before we moved though that my passion for writing had been reignited. I read the Fifty Shades trilogy and as much as I enjoyed it, I got to the end and was left thinking 'I could write a story better than that'. So, I am. I've written a novella and I'm half way through a full length novel at present. It's a past time that I enjoy and it's an outlet for me at the end of the day.
I've also returned to the gym for the first time in 10yrs in an effort to rid myself of those post-baby wobbly bits. Yet something else I should have done a while ago as the exercise is not only good for me physically, but it's good for me mentally. I'm literally happier when I leave the gym than I was when I went in.

Today is one of two a week where both the kids are at preschool. Undoubtedly it's a good day since I have room to breathe. I can walk through the house without having to sidestep a child or drag one along that's clinging to my leg. It's QUIET.
So, I'm off now to monopolise on this time and smash out a few thousand words on my novel.

I apologise if my posts are disjointed or missing something. When you're starting out telling people about you there's kind of a lot to say. I'll add a post as something comes to me or as I feel I need to vent. Some will be positive and some will be darker.

If there's anything you want to know, any questions you have then please let me know in the comments.

Until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment